PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A109S Medevac Crash Brainerd Minnesota
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 08:30
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Crab,

No explaining needed for me to understand....as I flew two types of aircraft with a three axis auto-pilot and if you remember my posts.

Also...recall I did not disagree with what you had to say....but did say it requires a pilot to fully understand how his particular aircraft responds to control inputs....either human or by avionic system.

That takes education, training, and practice.

As a Sim Instructor on the 212/412 and 76....I have observed many (far too many actually) well experienced working Pilots, single and two pilot crewing, fail to raise the Collective when performing a Missed Approach.

The usual warning clue was when there was no briefing or the Missed Approach part of the brief was omitted.

In my Sim....that guaranteed there would be a need to perform the Missed because I would disappear the airfield completely.

Sometimes in real life even....you have to declare a missed approach and go around....it helps to be prepared.

I somehow wonder if this might have been the cause of this latest 109 crash.

The symptoms are at DH (and if you are sneaking a bit) well below DH, the pilot decides to go around....either hits the GA Button and the aircraft pitches up, and without a proper Collective/Power addition or manually adjusts the pitch attitude and does not add power or enough power....the aircraft slows, the autopilot loses ability to control the machine and the Pilot is confronted with an unusual attitude, low and decreasing airspeed, and low power setting....and in this case in the dark and in cloud/fog perhaps. Usually it has a very bad outcome.

I taught an assertive response for a missed approach....as once taught back in the dark ages where we hand flew machines with basic instruments.....that being adding power first and to a predetermined power setting....adjusting the pitch attitude to a predetermined position and establishing Vbroc and climb rate. I also advocated flying the machine to 500 feet AGL before getting involved in collateral tasks.