PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Landing Site UK - What Legislation ?
Old 1st Jul 2019, 08:43
AnglianAV8R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
Surely, in UK we are allowed to do what we choose unless the law says we cannot, rather than we can do nothing unless the law says we can do the particular thing we would like to do.
Yes, absolutely correct. unless we stay in the EU, which is increasingly on the lines of Napoleonic law where everything is regulated and you can't do anything unless the law permits.
The established UK position could be fairly described as everything is lawful, unless a specific laws deems otherwise.
It reminds me of a time I was pouring vegetable oil into my diesel van tank, because it was considerably cheaper than diesel at the time. A shocked couple approached me and asked what I was doing. Having explained that Dr Diesel actually used peanut oil when he invented his combustion ignition engine, they asked me if I was allowed ? So I had to explain the law, as above and that the only legal stipulation was that there was an annual limit per household and if you went beyond that, you'd have to pay fuel duty to Her Maj.

Returning to the subject of landing a clattercopter in hotel grounds. My rather basic understanding of planning law is that the kommisars at the local council get involved if it is a 'development' or a change of use of the premises. If you land on the lawn and there's no 'built' facility it aint a development. Neither is it a change of use, as the occasional landing of a clattercopter at a hotel is common practice in this free(?) country and is 'incidental to the use of the site'

JTobias, stand your ground Sir. Tell the kommisar you would welcome his full written explanation of UK law and how he believes it applies to your situation. In the meantime, I'd carry on.

Disclaimer: The writer of this post has no specific qualifications in the field of planning law, may contain nuts, other opinions are available and may vary.