PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 1st Jul 2019, 00:08
ARealTimTuffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gums
Salute!

Thank you Takwis

I was wondering the same thing since last November. Ditto for disabling the column switches if I really wanted to pull back hard so I could override HAL. You know, "I flew this thing for 30 years, and pulling back hard tiurned off the trims except the switches on my yoke"

My point is something lurks in the myriad of boxes, add-ons, etc that requires I turn off my manual trim switch power. I unnerstan that a roque "stuck" switch contact could be a problem, but if I have successfully beeped the switch over twenty times to get nose up trim, then I don't think that sucker is the problem.

Gums sends...

The disabling of the cutout switches is relatively straight forward to understand. They only don't cutout during MCAS activation. They will cutout during STS. But it makes sense (given what they were trying to accomplish) to not have the MCAS cutout by the internal column switch. If that switch did in fact also cutout the MCAS, the MCAS wouldn't be able to do what it was designed to do. It needs to be able to trim Nose Down despite further back pressure. That is how it works. If it did cutout MCAS wouldn't do anything.

That isn't to say MCAS is a good design, but if the intended goal is what it was, then it has to bypass that cutout switch.