PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 30th Jun 2019, 17:56
Turb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alchad
...I wish the Mods would use the stick whenever "pilot training" (or lack of it) gets mentioned and cull the post.
Here's the opposing view. The thread title refers to possible reasons why the MAX's return is being delayed. You couldn't rule out that Boeing is being challenged on the core premise of the entire MAX project, that the MAX is "just another 737", and that no special training or simulators are needed. The justification for including thoughts about pilot training is that a requirement for new pilot training may indeed be one of the reasons for delayed return to service.

Originally Posted by WHBM
I think the balloon will burst when the production line has to be stopped.
Agreed. My best guess is that Boeing have been told to fix not just the software but the whole system that compensates for the aerodynamic effects of those big new engines, AND they're a bit short of good grey-haired engineers who might be able to figure out how to do this, AND they've been told that when they've fixed it they've then got to re-certify the thing, AND they've also been told to provide MAX simulators and a training programme for pilots, AND the most senior management are completely and utterly out of their depth because they can't solve this by outsourcing, or re-branding, or tweaking spreadsheets or buying back shares, or whatever the hell it is that non-engineers do when they are running an engineering company.
If they do stop the line it will be hell getting it started again, probably with new people who haven't really got a clue.