PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oil pressure too high
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2019, 16:00
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 435 Likes on 229 Posts
I fitted a used, replacement engine to one of my cars. It ran fine for a couple of thousands of miles but one very cold morning immediately on starting, in a few seconds it dumped all of the contents of the sump on my driveway. After cleaning everything up (took most of the day, the inside of the engine bay was dripping with oil, let alone the mess on the driveway), I found that the oil filter canister was loose but otherwise seemingly OK. I couldn't understand why it had come loose because I work on all my own vehicles, I've been doing oil and filter changes for almost five decades and never suffered this problem before. However, seeing as the engine was almost due an oil change I simply carried out that procedure (hardly any oil left in the sump!) and fitted a new filter, this time making absolutely sure it was very secure. Two weeks later later the same thing happened again, a hundred and fifty miles from home. This time the oil filter canister base was bent, so that the "O" ring wouldn't go back in. The canister "wobbled" as I unscrewed it. The car had to be recovered on a trailer.

The only thing I could think of was that the pressure relief valve in the oil pump had stuck shut. I dismantled the lower front of the engine, took off the oil pump and sure enough, the pressure relief piston was seized solid in the closed position.

I'd hate that to happen in flight....