PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oil pressure too high
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2019, 15:49
PDR1

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Hot 'n' High
Point was, the engine came with a full set of shims fitted (shims I do recall being mentioned) to the oil widger-thingy-ma-jig which were then removed once the donk was on the aircraft to "calibrate it" to the aircraft using a calibrated pressure gauge and that was all part of the install - hence why it was such a quick fix.

[...]

Now, as to whether that was just the gauge system, or to take into account the effects of oil coolers etc in the system and to what the shims were fitted to etc, etc I know not
...and *my* point is that none of that should have happened AT ALL. The oil pump and the adjustable oil pressure relief valve are part of the engine change unit, not the aeroplane. For a new/overhauled engine the oil pressure should be set up for the long before installation in an actual aeroplane, because nothing in the external system (even if the existing oil cooler and oil tank were retained rather than changed with the engine) should have any effect on the oil pressure relief setting. External oil plumbing can affect oil *flow*, but not oil *pressure*, hence this claimed need to calibrate it in the aeroplane against a calibrated pressure gauge, together with this bunkum about engines "being supplied with all the shims fitted" just doesn't stand scrutiny. For a new/overhauled engine there is simply no reason why the crew installing the engine in the aeroplane should ever need to mess about with the pressure relief valve settings. There are a few engine "repairs & rectifications" which might require recalibration of the pressure relief valve itself (not the gauge) to give the correct pressure (rather than the correct reading), but that wasn't how this incident was described.

I guess what I'm saying is that you were hoodwinked into accepting a smart line of B/S as an excuse for what was actually a serious maintenance error - one that could easily have led to an in-flight engine failure and a need for a non-practice forced landing.

PDR