PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Women pilots told ‘terminate your pregnancy or employment’
Old 30th Jun 2019, 11:52
flyingmed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately the headline is quite far from reality in some cases. I have met some of these pilots who had been offered permanent employment within some airlines but refused as there is quite a significant gain in income if operating as a contractor, less tax etc. I also know of pilots who were full time employees and moved to self employed contracts.

Unfortunately in most contract jobs there are clauses saying that if you can no longer offer flying services then the contract can/will be terminated, for those female pilots this would be the case during pregnancy due to temporary loss of medical.

This has the potential to ruin contracting for those of us who want it. The freedoms in contracting are beneficial to some of us. Unfortunately again a group of people might ruin this for the pilots who genuinely want and need contract jobs. I have no sympathy for those pilots who choose to work as contractors and then complain about lack of rights.