PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uber Air
Thread: Uber Air
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2019, 08:01
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bend alot
You would need to change the way you are thinking.

Firstly it will not be something you buy - that is important to understand.
Secondly you would not park it in your garage - it would likely collect you at a zone (maybe corner blocks).
Thirdly it will be very primitive and restrictive in the early years - somewhat like the Commodore 32 or 64 was.
Also it would not be like the current transport systems we have but part of a single network - there would be no CAsA or RTA's.

* Note, I do not think the example you listed above is the Jetson Zipper of the future. I would expect that you would actually enter a quick release pod than an actual flying machine. I also do not see Australia having the political will for some time, for such required changes.
Yep, I get that it's not something you're going to buy or park in your garage.

My comment still stands. No one is doing this now with the current technology. Why? Practicality and cost. Even if you strip out the regulatory cost I still don't see how these machines will make it affordable. I don't see how these will be practical, where will they operate from, can't see the neighbours being happy with the noise and down draft etc. That will mean having some form of drone port which means you will have to travel between there and your home significantly negating any benefits. So far no one has been able to explain how the machines will significantly reduce costs or overcome the practicality issues.

So far as there being no CASA etc. I think you've under estimated the influence the established players will have. They won't be happy seeing one part of the aviation industry having no or very little regulatory over sight while they have to comply.