PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus hydraulic failure -
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2019, 17:07
eigerjoch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus hydraulic failure -

Hello,

apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, couldn’t find the answer googling.

was meant to be on an Airbus from Zurich to LHR, pulled back from gate, long wait without going to runway. hydraulic warning light, mechanic called. I could smell what I assume was hydraulic fluid from the front row.
pilot said the issue was in the tail hydraulics- the pump. Mechanic pumped nitrogen in and apparently it just ran right through, I believe the pilot said. So we couldn’t take off obv.

my query is- what’s the effect if this happens in the air? I know a total hydraulic failure would be un-flyable, but what about just one pump like that? Is there enough redundancy from elsewhere? (Sorry not sure the right way to phrase it)

I’m sorry I’m not certain of the airbus type but I think it was a 319, will update here if wrong because it’s the same one this eve

(I’m just interested, I like planes and I’m not sure if the pilot - we’ll have the same guy in a couple hours on a new plane - would be allowed by BA to answer that if I ask