PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Firefighters win landmark case over pensions.
Old 29th Jun 2019, 14:50
Blackfriar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bizarre

Originally Posted by Melchett01

Or b, they just scrap the transitional arrangements / grandfather rights for older personnel and move them on to the new scheme so everybody gets the same.

Whilst unpopular with a ‘relatively’ small number of personnel in the overall scheme of things, you just know that anything else will be spun as public sector workers boosting existing gold plated arrangements whilst the private sector gets screwed yet again as their taxes pay for the boost. I make no comment on the validity of those arguments, but merely suggest it would invariably put public sector pensions back into an unwelcome limelight at a time of financial uncertainty.
As you say, this just means that everybody will be forcibly transferred to the new scheme instead of only new entrants. Great victory there, ageism wins.
Or am I mis-reading the decision and everybody will have to stay on the old scheme? It's not clear.
I guess the decision had nothing to do with the fact that the Judges' pension scheme was included in the same judgement?