PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 29th Jun 2019, 13:20
aviation_enthus

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOOROO

Thank you so much for your reply, it helped a lot. We are thinking of taking the plunge with that exact goal in mind of trying to get ahead with mortgage etc. This thread makes for very interesting reading. I can honestly attest that new shiny widebody jet syndrome is a thing.
HOOROO, you’re welcome mate!

Just a word of caution:

I too had a reasonable desire to fly all over the world in a big jet. It was a ‘scratch I had to itch’. 😂
Emirates will definitely help you achieve that! However, be aware that everyone has to go home eventually (I’m guessing AUS/NZ for you). That can be for various reasons completely seperate from flying, wife, family etc. So the eternal question you will always have to answer is what will you do when you leave?

Are you happy to go home and rejoin Jetstar/Virgin/Tiger as an f/o and if you’re in your late 40’s by then, potentially sitting in the RHS for the rest of your career?

Basically the decision to head overseas takes you out of the seniority system back home. So yes you’ll make some money, see the world and hopefully enjoy it, but when you go back.... it’ll be back to the bottom of the pile. Personally I can live with that, but some people can’t. Then they end up feeling stuck at EK and come to hate the place.