PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Station Closures, Your Choice
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2003, 16:18
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
rej - The main problem is the general lack of understanding of the right of passage for aircraft flying under VFR in Class D airspace. For example, instead of just providing departing IFR traffic with information about any VFR traffic in Class D airspace and avoidance information from that traffic on request, certain controllers will actively vector VFR GA aircraft about the sky in order to provide the same separation standard as would apply to IFR-from-IFR. Also, the manner in which certain controllers at certain aerodromes (not necessarily Brize) treat requests from GA aircraft to enter their Class D airspace is often quite abrupt. "Aircraft calling, remain outside controlled airspace" isn't much help. Particularly when the controller won't respond because he/she's too busy with traffic in wall-to-wall VMC asking for a LARS radar service. Surely there should be some priority to aircraft requesting crossing clearance? Going round or over a Class D zone will often add many miles to the transit distance - and may not be an option in any case if the cloudbase is below the top of the zone or the aircraft is not equipped to fly in IMC. And yes, I can usually cope because I’m reasonably aware of my rights – but I cringe when I hear others being air trafficked to death!

I understand that, in some other countries, merely advising the agency that you wish to transit Class D airspace is considered an adequate R/T contact (after establishing initial comms) - and you can proceed without waiting for a specific clearance?

Airbedane – fully agree about the Jag actually!