PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-2
Thread: Southend-2
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2019, 09:36
AirportPlanner1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Expressflight
I don't follow your logic there I'm afraid. How could Loganair responsibly tell pax they can check-in up to 20 minutes before flight departure when at the top of SEN's website home page is a notice declaring "Please ensure that you arrive at least 2 hours before your scheduled time of departure." SEN most definitely 'set a limit' for arrival time at the airport and that doesn't mean pax can amble around landside for 100 minutes before checking in. I had hoped that the 2 hour requirement might be temporary while they sorted out their Security screening shortcomings following the arrival of RYR; it seems not. As it is they've shot themselves in the foot through ineptitude and thrown away one of the main passenger benefits they previously boasted about.

At least they don't say, as the STN website does, that you should allow 2 hours to get through Security after having checked in.
I think with respect you are taking guidance as a requirement. I think all airlines/airports everywhere advise you to arrive 2 hours before, but clearly if you are at Antwerp or Poitiers or Kerry or any number of airports across Europe that would be barmy unless you enjoy spending lots of time in a small room with just a vending machine for activity. By your logic all airlines at SEN should close their check-ins substantially earlier than the 45 mins (Air Malta), 40 mins (Ryanair) and 30 mins (Flybe) currently in place. Of course I caveat that with responsibility for getting to the gate on time resting with the passenger. The airport definitely don’t set a limit, and of course they want you there as early as possible to spend money so would never advocate you push the limits of arrival.

In any case, short check-ins tends to benefit and be used by higher-yielding business travellers and is therefore a selling point.