PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angara Airlines An-24 landing accident at Nizhneangarsk
Old 27th Jun 2019, 23:12
capngrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UltraFan

The information above may be incorrect. According to what I'm reading, it didn't overshoot the runway but rather veered off after landing. It may (or may not) indicate that the pilots simply forgot they have one engine inop and pulled both reverse levers. But that's nothing more than speculation until we have the IAC's report.
I also considered that to be a possibility, but from carefully listening to the audio portion of the video, the sound of the engines doesn't seem to change until after the airplane departed the runway. Only after the airplane was well off of the runway does the sound change to the "flat pitch'" sound characteristic of the older single shaft turbo-prop engines. The video is showing the right engine of the airplane, but with the stroboscopic effect of modern digital cameras, it's tough to tell if the engine is producing power; however, I think that it is fairly safe to assume that the failed engine (No.1) had already been shut down and feathered.

Whatever the cause, it's a shame that the pilot and mechanic lost their lives. R.I.P.

Grog