PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two german Eurofighters have crashed
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2019, 21:37
Bob Viking

Received 550 Likes on 150 Posts
DV

At the risk of repeating myself I shall say this.

A collision avoidance system would almost certainly have prevented the Moray mid air or a similar occurrence. It could also prevent numerous other mid airs between FJs and civilian aircraft where the FJ is in a benign stage of flight.

I think you run the risk of diluting your argument by dragging it into a thread about a mid air between FJs apparently involved in ACT.

When I have engaged in ACT in the Hawk (TCAS equipped) it is invariably operated in standby mode since it would be of no benefit (often one aircraft within the formation, usually a jet with no student, will have it turned on in case of strangers). The other jet is usually well within the bubble of concern and hence warnings would either be constantly repeated or not triggered.

Even if a warning were to be triggered, looking in at the TCAS display or listening to the climb/descend command would be less useful than looking out the window.

Typhoon is far more dynamic than a Hawk and so any collision avoidance system, to work during ACT, would have to be awesome to be of any use.

I think you’d be better off starting a new thread devoted to the issue of collision avoidance systems instead of mistakenly trying to apply it to an accident that it almost certainly wouldn’t have prevented.

BV