PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC4 CASTLE COMMANDO
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2019, 19:53
ex82watcher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PN,yes that's the fellow.I just watched a few minutes worth of the programme on the BBCiplayer,and It was quite unnerving to see my neighbour,Peternel Hankin as I remember her just a few years before she died,There was also a photo' shown of her during the war,looking very glamorous.Once,she asked me to take her to a garden party being held in Haslemere,where she met with a lot of her wartime cronies from MI 5,MI6 etc,though by that time of course,they were all grey haired old ladies.Mrs Hankin's late husband,Tony,also had an interesting war - he was the ships secretary/admin officer (I don't remember the exact term) on HMS Belfast and was on-board when she was bombarding in support of the D-day landings.In my small lane with only about 17 houses,I had some quite remarkable neighbours,apart from those already mentioned they included Anne Welch,the famous glider-pllot and ATA veteran,and her husband Lorne Welch,who had been the intended pilot to fly the glider built in the attic of Colditz.Sadly,I only got to speak to him once,and I was on top of my roof at the time,and he just introduced himself,and I had no idea of his interesting past,and only got to know of it in detail following his death,when another neighbour lent me a copy of the book 'Flak and Ferrets' - a good read that I'd recommend to anyone.