PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 27th Jun 2019, 10:51
yoko1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fox niner
About 15 years ago, when I was still flying PG and NG 737’s, we had a de-icing procedure that required us to place the stabilizer full nose down.
Including using the trim wheels, all the way to the stop.
It was said that this was necessary, so that the de-icing fluid could run down the aft end of the horizontal tail structure.
This procedure was abandoned later, and repaced by a neutral stab trim setting. So that fluid would not accumulate between the stabilizer and elevator, and subsequently freeze up during flight, impairing elevator authority.
Why am I telling you guys this? Well...
Very often, as I placed the stab trim full nose down with the trim wheel, the following would regularly happen.
It regularly was VERY hard to return the stab trim. INCLUDING using the trim wheels. You had to yank and pull the trim wheels quite a few times so that they would snap free, and the it was usable again and trimmable.
And this was at the gate/de-icing platform. Airspeed was zero.
Yep, I remember this. In fact, I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons that the stab trim is even capable of being positioned so far in the nose down direction was to accommodate ground related procedures such as this as I've never seen the stab go much more forward than about 4.0 units in flight. As I recall, the problem was that moisture was getting inside the tailcone area and the stab and/or the limit relay was getting frozen against the stop. This is one of the reasons the procedure was ultimately changed.