PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A common one the flare and looking at the far end
Old 27th Jun 2019, 09:58
Willie Nelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yoko1
Way back when I was a CFI, one thing I would do with a student who was having trouble with landing picture was to perform a landing attitude demo. This is accomplished by adding a little power in the flare and flying down the runway in the landing attitude inches off the ground. If the runway is long enough, you can touch down intermittently (keeping the power in) just to get a feel for where the wheels are. As you get near the end of the runway, apply power and off you go back into the pattern. I would fly one, then have the student fly one. Not recommended with any strong winds. Check with your instructor and see if he/she would be willing to try this.
This was a technique I learnt while having some difficulty landing the DHC-8 in the sim at least. My instructor got me to conduct a normal approach and then got me to "Not Land!" all the way down the runway, inches from touchdown. Worked a treat.

Be a little careful though as you don't want to find yourself running out of runway at the upwind end and still at 2 feet AGL!