PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two german Eurofighters have crashed
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2019, 15:10
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Distant Voice
I understand that the German Typhoons are fitted with the same Collision Warning System as that fitted to RAF Typhoons.

DV
Have the RAF Typhoons got a CWS yet? I know that, over the past few years, there has been quite a bit in the Press about the Hawk and Typhoon fleets getting a Mod of some sort and there was the Tornado TCAS programme a few years back. I thought 2019 was when the Hawk and Typhoon fleets were due to start getting a system. Genuine question. Tho, as BV says, doubt that would have helped in this case where it sounds they were conducting an ACS. I believe that's why there is usually a "knock it off" height band in case SA is lost at any time and so one can bail up into that and then get the picture back.

Mind you, that concept focused the mind when I was transiting the Lakes after conducting a pipeline photo survey contract a few years ago. Deliberately kept it high heading South with various FJ traffic clearly weaving through the valleys below at LL. Thought did cross my mind that, if one of them had an issue down there (bird strike or whatever) they'd just pull up out the valley and it would only be seconds before they would be through my level as H 'n' H and his phot man puttered on South! And I'd never have seen it comming - even if opposite direction.

Always so sad when this sort of accident happens and thank goodness one got out. RIP the other. V sad. H 'n' H