PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 25th Jun 2019, 15:26
billybone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by 568
If you fly an "RA" TCAS event, then the autopilot and Auto throttle should be disengaged. TCAS "TA" is to alert crew of other "traffic" but is not deemed to be a threat.TCAS "RA" maneuvers are generally flown with "smooth" control inputs for pitch up or down depending on the course of action. These events are not subject to high or low pitch angles in general, so MCAS probably wouldn't be a factor.
Thank you ! I realize that normally TCAS only provides up/down altitude change alerts supposedly at a range/time sufficient to avoid collision. As I understand it- MCAS only works/engages if/when AP is off, flaps up, etc. And that normally, the AOA sensor provides input to AP. But the disconnect/removal of the yoke/stick switch which has been standard for decades such that a pull or push in opposition to stab/trim input under a TCAS maneuver which would normally cut electric power to stabilizer might be a surprise to many. Seems to me if HAL( MCAS) is/was G limited by design - but no longer is - then a conflict between pilot and HAL is probable ??