Thread: Borris next PM?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2019, 14:51
KelvinD

Jeremy Hunt, Entrepreneur
Having watched the BBC debate with all the usual suspects (wannabe PMs), when there was still the full field of 5. During this, I was struck by how often Jeremy Hunt told us he "is an entrepreneur" and it occurred to me today to see if I could find what exactly he meant by that.
Turning to Companies House, I see he is listed as having 1 appointment; a resigned directorship of an outfit named The Small Business Bureau Ltd. More on this outfit later but this particular post is shown as resigned on 17th July 2007. That hardly makes him an entrepreneur in the present tense, so I thought I would look a bit deeper.
If one does a Companies House search on Jeremy Richard Streynsham Hunt, there are 4 entries.
The first is as an active director of Nyumbani UK And The Hotcourses Foundation which is basically a charity. The current Secretary of this company is a Michael Elms, a childhood friend of Hunt's. Both Hunt and Mr. Elms were reportedly (Wikipedia) Directors of a company named Hotcourses Ltd, although Hunt is not listed as either a current of previous officer of this company, which was eventually sold to Australian owners, IDP Connect Ltd. reportedly allowing Hunt to trouser 14M as a result of his 48% shareholding. Well done him!
Mind you, Hunt also worked a number on the HMRC by taking some of his dividends in the form of property, saving himself a cool 100K. Both Hunt & Elms have reported themselves as Resigned from this company. Hunt is reported as Resigned in 2009.
Back to Nyumbani UK And The Hotcourses Foundation:
As the company's accounts show "There are no key management personnel remunerated directly by the charity", I suppose we can take it Mr Hunt is not considering this position one of a money making entrepreneur (and good for him!).
So, where else might Mr. Hunt claim to be an entrepreneur?
Well, he got into a spot of bother in 2018 when he was found to have failed to declare an interest in a property company when he bought 7 properties in a Southampton development. The property company concerned was Mare Pond Properties Ltd. The single officer listed for this company is Ge Guo, a Chinese national. Persons listed with significant control are Ms Ge Guo and Mr Jereny Hunt, both of whom are shown as having More than 25% but not more than 50% ownership of shares and the same ratios of voting rights.
That company's accounts show the company had assets of 15,938 and liabilities of 3,782,803. Hardly the rip roaring entrepreneurial record upon which to build your claim to be PM. Incidentally, I wonder who is Ge Guo? His wife is named Lucia Guo.
So, it seems to me Mr Hunt's claims to be an entrepreneur are limited to his involvement with Hotcourses Ltd.
Now, back to his earliest involvement with a company; The Small Business Bureau Ltd (Oct 2005 to July 2007). The activities of this company are listed as "Other business support activities not elsewhere classified". Well, active and former officers include:

Christopher Davies Nigel Evans Anne Marie Morris Lord Richard Risby Angela Browning Nadim Zahawi Virginia Bottomley Graham Bright Lord John Cope
Charles Elphicke Mark Field Christopher Fraser George Freeman Michael Grylls Jeremy Hunt David Trippier Ed Vaizey David Warburton
All Conservative politicians.

Plus the late Alan Cleverly, a political agent for the Surrey Heath constituency and agent for Michael Gove.
Perhaps this company should list their activities as "Conservative MP factory and production line"?
Meanwhile, Boris's entrepreneurial experience seems to have been limited to a single involvement with a now dissolved company, from which he had resigned in 2008.
Overall, a pair of losers in business! But at least Johnson has the decency to keep his trap shut when Hunt is bragging about his business skills/talents.