PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do we still accept abbreviations in weather / notams etc ?
Old 25th Jun 2019, 09:42
woodja51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOTAM’s etc

I think without exception the NOTAM’s have been identified as cumbersome and in fact are now a hazard / flight safety risk themselves. Overhaul required. Met codes can be faster in most cases ( except Snowtam / runway reports which are still a dogs breakfast.). In some airports they use a simple code system to advise of the weather etc. I like that. A bit like the “Jet ok “ someone mentioned. I don’t care about wind unless it’s tail , don’t care about x wind unless it’s significant and RCR affected. I count the lines on a TAF etc and when they get to 5 I start looking for more alternates. Less than 2 lines - really who cares. Yes , I know this is simplifying it /stereotyping but as George Clooney said “- it’s faster “ like the lines at security - never line up behind old folks, kids or pax from certain parts of the world( that’s a fact not anything more controversial ) .. And any Notam with a “ V “ FIR ( on it , well I simply throw them in the bin. Some are several years old !!