PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 25th Jun 2019, 02:49
mattler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yoko1
The 737MAX is aerodynamically stable throughout its flight envelope. Just because you want to believe otherwise doesn't make it so.
And just because you want to believe otherwise, doesn't make it so. That line goes both ways.

You're either very bright, or posing as someone who is; it's not always obvious. Regardless, I'm scratching my head as to how you can be so sure about yourself, given that there are Boeing engineers from the MAX program who would vociferously beg to differ with what I can only assume is your opinion. So if you're going to speak with that kind of authority, you're going to need to give us something more than Boeing's official stance, as they've got a bit of a credibility problem atm.

In the mean time, the following was sent to me by one of those Boeing engineers. The last sentence says it all (emphasis added):
"I recall seeing the Cl and Cm Alpha for the MAX from the transonic test and it didn't look good. I retired shortly after that so don't know how it went from there [...] Boeing can claim it was just trying to standardize stick feel but the bottom line is that it did not meet FAA requirements for stability. I would hope that the lift and moment curves would be made public along with the results of the certification flight test. That's the only way I would feel comfortable flying on a MAX."

Let's hope that the data cited above made it to the FAA so that it can be accessed by way of a FOIA request (should it fail to be disclosed voluntarily).

The actual fact appears to be that we don't know, one way or another.