PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 24th Jun 2019, 20:21
ARealTimTuffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yoko1
Yes, I am sure MCAS works that way.

The nose down upon autopilot engagement you referred to was an autopilot problem, not an MCAS problem. I've had the same thing happen on the 737NG. It's not really a big deal - just disconnect the autopilot and try the other one.

The 2.5 degree nose down trim input is actually less abrupt than the stick pusher devices installed in numerous other commercial aircraft. I assume you don't have a problem with those? The FAA and EASA certainly don't.

The 737MAX is aerodynamically stable throughout its flight envelope. Just because you want to believe otherwise doesn't make it so.

Yoko out.
To Add for Smthye.

in the congressional testimony on May 15th of Dan Elwell they bring up these other autopilot on reports in the safety reporting system. He states that these were an unrelated malfunction as yoko says. As far as everyone is aware there have been 3 cases of false MCAS. The 2 accident flights and the lion air flight before the accident. You may believe there is a cover up but that is speculation as there have not been any other validated reports

Secondly, the trim doesn’t input a reduction of 2.5 degrees to the AOA when the MCAS operates. It puts in 2.5 units of AND trim. Trim will adjust the control force requirements as we all know. Which was the goal all along.

The aircraft aren’t grounded due to stick force, they are grounded because the system designed to deal with it had major flaws in the way it was thought up and tested that led to numerous lives being lost. This is a time for reflection from all of us in the industry on how can we do better.

The autopilot does not require a consistency of feel to aid in how it will fly the airplane so the system need not function with the autopilot on. Again there has been information conveniently left out along the way these last number of months but to say it is a cover up, again is pure speculation at this point.

Last edited by ARealTimTuffy; 24th Jun 2019 at 20:24. Reason: Add