PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 24th Jun 2019, 13:24
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

Lemme see if I understand this from a “pilot”?
There is nothing sneaking through there. The cutout switch inside the column is there to prevent a trim runaway. However the MCAS as designed must function despite back pressure. If it cutout MCAS wouldn’t do its job.
So the pilots expect that pulling/pushing will override the AP or whatever by cutting out the electric trim commanded by HAL?

But we lowly pilots are not told this or even aware that a new system might be at work and what we have expected for decades is not true anymore. BEAM ME UP!

There is no reason to have an unknown system on my plane that operates in a “bang bang” mode versus a proven curve relating AoA to pitch moment and/or stick force. Oh yeah, you will encounter the black cat while the stick is shaking and you are getting warning lights about speed and such. GASP! You trim up for a second and then handle the shaker problem IAW the procedures, but the cat is still at work. A few seconds later she strikes again.

The whole thing flat out sucks. Poorly mechanized fix for an aerodynamic problem, then not come clean with FAA and then not tell the folks operating the plane.

Gotta calm down, man....

Gums rants....