PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Setting Vref Approach speed 737
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2019, 12:19
RVF750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My favourite speed for some reason....

Answer to Yoko is always land on the left wheel if you want a smooth touchdown. In our company we are required to brief before TOD and complete the descent checklist. The Assumed GW at touchdown is taken from the FMC progress page where you look at the difference between current and predicted. It's usually about a tonne. Then you go to the Init Ref and deduct this difference from current GW and double tap the speeds for the flap setting. You can pop in plus 5 on the next line or more if you wish, though it's just as easy to manually set that on getting the touchdown wind from ATC.

This flying game is not rocket science, yet youngsters are taught so much by rote now that they hang their hats on flying numbers at all times. It's a world of butt covering and legal minefields. and I'm counting the days till I can retire. I blame the culture on Boeing and Airbus lawyers and the dumbing down it entails. I've never flown a type where I was taught and expected to know so little about the airframe!

So yes, left side first. It needs a minute or two of reading the WOW sensor logic to understand why, and the number of blank and confused faces I've had alongside me who can't understand it after four hours of trying never ceases to amaze me. They're the future and single pilot aircraft will be designed for them to fly, not the likes of me. That really scares me!