PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Commercial Rotorcraft Add - on / R44 Safety
Old 24th Jun 2019, 02:22
RandomPerson8008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA Commercial Rotorcraft Add - on / R44 Safety

Hello,

I am writing to inquire about recreational helicopter flying in the US. I am a 10,000 hour professional fixed wing pilot (which I realize means nothing in regard to rotorcraft) with a steady airline job that pays well enough. I recently took a "discovery flight" in an R44 and was intrigued by the fun and challenge of flying it. I feel as if I took to it fairly well, able to hover in ground effect with fair stability on the first few tries. I'm sure the instructor was stroking my ego to increase the likelihood of repeat business though. We're in the 44 being as that I weight 95 kilos at about 185 cm (yes I do need to diet) and my instructor is probably close to 85 kg himself.

To get on with it, my questions how intrinsically dangerous is flying the R44? I have been reading a fair bit on mast bumping, mast rocking/chugging, and post impact fires (which I realize have been mitigated to a degree with the fuel tank modifications). We conducted the SFAR 73 robinson mast bump avoidance training before the discovery flight. I live in a mountainous far northwestern region of the USA which is prone to wind, turbulence, and snow.

If I were to earn my rating and fly recreationally, the rental agreement is quite stringent, requiring quarterly recurrent checkouts with an instructor and prohibiting off airport (heliport?) landings. I imagine myself flying for sightseeing on good weather days only.

Lastly, despite my limited ambitions, I think it is best that I pursue the commercial add-on to my fixed wing ATP, because the training hours are no more than 10% extra compared to the private, iirc (you are simply held to tighter tolerances on the checkride maneuvers). Do voices of experience concur?

Thank you.