PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Pilot Falling Standards
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2003, 04:47
ali250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a current TRE I can only say that the CAA have made a change for the better. A working Commercial Pilot will have a base check twice and one line check a year. Private Pilots fly the same aircraft with passengers over our heads every day; the only differences between the two are financial. I think it was unreasonable that they did not need checking until recently!

All any pilot needs to keep current are two hours on each type and an LPC, the LPC can be included within the two hours. It’s a shame that some pilots think it’s a ploy to line the instructors pockets. If you have to use an instructor then use him/her, make them work, do things that you can’t do on your own! Engine Off landings come to mind. Think of it as a work out, tone yourself up and have some fun.

To give you one example I had one particular private owner sat in my office waiting his turn for his first LPC after ten years of being unchecked. He had sweaty palms and a feeling of extreme nervousness. Funny really because he’s a dentist by trade. Anyway, once he was settled into the flight and he realised I wasn’t going to bite his head off he actually enjoyed the practice emergencies. In fact we spent a lot of time doing engine offs. Remember he hasn’t done this for over ten years. Now he looks forward to it.

Pilots who are out of currency are uninsured when they fly. So any flying school will pick that one up, I hope? If they are a private owner then I can see why the system can break down. Ignorance is really no excuse and there are always those who buck any system. Perhaps the insurance company could ask for a checklist? Make sure their medical and LPC is current? After all they are the one’s underwriting the risk.

I’m sorry for making a long comment but I do feel strongly about the subject of standards, and I feel the introduction of the LPC can only help improve the situation. However, the quality of instructors is a whole new subject, Half A Pilot. Perhaps that issue should be dealt with on it’s own?