PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solo Circuits and Turblence
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2019, 11:00
Jhieminga

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
A tip that sometimes used to help my students: only correct (move the controls) for deviations that you can see. For example: wings not level, distance between nose and horizon has changed. At all other times: keep the controls steady. You will find that although you will feel the effect of turbulence, the number of deviations from your planned flight path will be less than before.

One aspect of flying in turbulence is that you may have to accept some deviations from your altitude or speed. Once you get more comfortable, you can work on adding corrections to stay closer to the planned numbers, but I wouldn't worry about that at this stage as corrections add another variable and may lead to overcontrolling. I would suggest a chat with your instructor about the error margins you can use for this at this point of your training. As you progress through training, these error margins will decrease to the margins that are acceptable during a PPL exam.

As for the emotional part, experience does help. I know that turbulence can be quite disconcerting at first but although it may not be a fun experience, building up time in bumpy conditions will, over time, allow your brain to become accustomed to it. You could ask your instructor if he would take you along on a flight on a very bumpy, windy day (within limits of course) so that you can experience this situation. It may help your mind to accept this as something the aircraft is able to deal with.

Once you have a license, you will have to find your own limit on what you find acceptable for you to fly in, but that will no doubt change as you build hours. During training, learning to deal with turbulence is part of the course as your instructor, and later on the examiner, will need to know that you are safe to operate the aircraft during less than ideal conditions.