PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do we not require 1500 hours for a RHS job ?
Old 21st Jun 2019, 10:19
Busdriver01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find it absurd that people think everyone who wants to be an airline pilot should move to Africa or Southeast Asia first to “pay their dues”. Some will and they will enjoy it but for the majority of people that is just not desirable at all. Since GA in Europe isn’t what it is in the states, there are few options left. Thankfully, airlines in Europe are geared up to train cadets, and they do this very well.

I did my basic flying training in New Zealand, and came back to the UK to do my IR, but it was possible to have trained in America with the same company. My IR instructor (ex Air Force, long career in airlines after his service) made his views on those who trained in the states quite clear - as has been mentioned above, how much extra do you actually learn from spending 1500 hours in CAVOK conditions before moving to a regional? (because flying for a European LOCO in a 320/737 isn’t exactly any different from flying a regional carrier in the states)