PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To bounce or not to bounce?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2003, 00:05
Mac the Knife

Plastic PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, don't bounce 'em. I used to, until I realised that the originators usually don't get the bounces and don't take any notice if the do anyway.

Also it further clogs the net with bouncing email and doesn't help my poor 'ol ISP at all.

Roger all the comments about Mailwasher(registered) - I used to sit for ages while all that cr@p downloaded - now I can just delete it of my ISP with ittle bother.

Ausatco - that new version of MW looks very sexy - any idea when they will release it?

This spam story is really getting worring for the net - I've now gone up to 40-60 pieces of garbage/day and it seems to be increasing. My ISP blocks as much as it reasonably can and it seems has plans to allow users to upload their own junk-senders list for their mailbox. Legislation doesn't seem to have much chance of working, 'cos the spammers will just move to servers in Outer Mongolia. M$ has plans to change the whole structure of email which I naturally view with considerable suspicion.

It seems that some companies are going back to faxes because of worries that important emails will be missed in the deluge of trash or inadvertently filtered - pity.

On the positive side, where seem to be indications that as more and more people and ISP's install spam filters that eventually the rate of return on spam will fall below a useful margin and the practice will die out. One can always hope!

The opensource PopFile looks interesting as a naive Bayesian filter that learns as it goes, but MW is good enough for the moment.