PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expired EASA ATPL Theory - Career Advice
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2019, 21:56
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pipertommy
How did this end regarding the not having to take the ground exams statement?
Sorry for the delay. If you want to avoid taking any more exams, get an FAA or other ICAO IR, log 50 hours as PIC under IFR, then convert to a EASA via CBIR. See below:

Applicants for the competency-based modular IR(A) holding a Part-FCL PPL or CPL and a valid IR(A) issued in compliance with the requirements of Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention by a third country may be credited in full towards the training course mentioned in paragraph 4. In order to be issued the IR(A), the applicant shall:
(a) successfully complete the skill test for the IR(A) in accordance with Appendix 7;
(b) demonstrate to the examiner during the skill test that he/she has acquired an adequate level of theoretical knowledge of air law, meteorology and flight planning and performance (IR); and
(c) have a minimum experience of at least 50 hours of flight time under IFR as PIC on aeroplanes.

Bingo. EASA IR - no exams required. If you have expired ATPL exams, then depending on how you interpret the following...

The completion of the airline transport pilot licence (ATPL) theoretical knowledge examinations will remain valid for the issue of an ATPL for a period of 7 years FROM the last validity date of:
(i) an IR entered in the licence;

...you could argue that your ATPLs are now valid again (the argument being that the only finite limits - 36 months for CPL and IR - are based on what you USE them for, not the validity of the exams themselves. Case in point, they are considered to be valid indefinitely if used to prove CPL knowledge for the issuance of a Flight Instructor rating.)

Either way, you now qualify for an airline job by virtue of:

(d) Multi-pilot aeroplanes. An applicant for the first type rating course for a multi-pilot aeroplane shall be a student pilot currently undergoing training on an MPL training course or comply with the following requirements:
(1) have at least 70 hours of flight experience as PIC on aeroplanes;
(2) hold a multi-engine IR(A);
(3) have PASSED the ATPL(A) theoretical knowledge examinations in accordance with this Part; (**No time limit mentioned**)

So worst case scenario, you get an FO job and retake the exams later at your convenience, best case scenario you don’t need to retake them. Since taking an ATPL skills test requires that you already have the Type Rating and MP-IR anyway and is almost always done in an airline environment, I’m not even sure if the Authority is likely to, or even has the means to check the whole 7 year thing anyway.

So 6 months off work to study and take exams, or a month in Florida doing an IR and some more hour building?