PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter/C172 interactions
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2019, 20:47
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by double_barrel
....... I stopped and let it pass in front. If I had not stopped we would have perfectly met at the junction.

I suspect the chopper was talking to tower while I was talking to ground .......
There are really 2 points here - one ATC and the other general respect for helos - dodgy blooming things ..... the latter that is!

For the ATC element, such situations are not uncommon at all - either with R/W or other F/W. Trust me - even the mighty ATCO's make the odd ".... erm, really?" clearances now and again! But we look out for their 6 just as I hope they are looking after our 6 so, if you spot a plan that seems not to be working, give the ATCO a "heads up" and shout out. The solution is usually quite simple in the sort of case you describe from an ATC point of view! You are Capt and, if unhappy, simply A-N-C - but always remember the last bit. When similar things have happened to me (and I probably sound like an aviating disaster area!!!) you do as you did. However, you have now effectively changed your clearance (I assume there was no conditional "give way to...." & you had a straight clearance) so you now need to tell ATC you have stopped as they are not expecting that - and your clearnace could be a small part of their "masterplan" involving others. I'd have said something like "G-AB holding short taxiway A - R/W traffic currently crossing ahead L to R.". No need for anything else - it's all that's needed - no drama, just fact. Note, it does not depend on who has right of way - assume you're the only one who has spotted it! This does 2 things - firstly tells any other aircraft (the one who is involved - if on freq - and maybe anything following close behind you) that you have stopped and, secondly, it alerts the ATCO that something odd is happening. Usually, after a grunt followed by an "Ahhhh....!" from the tower/ground/FISO, quick as a flash they will resolve it, not just for you, but anyone else involved by updating your/their clearance as required. In every case, I have had a call from the ATC once I've parked up just to thank me for alerting them! It's not just on the ground - I've even had things happen in the circuit - but clearly you can't stop tho you may have to take evasive action if you only spot it at the last second. But always "C" to let ATC know.

The bit about dangers of downwash, jet/prop blast and even just wind - always, always, always think and avoid. There was a dreadful case where a C182 (a really nice plane it was - and an even nicer family, sadly) landed quite legally at St Mawgan back in/about 2000 but then bounced and crashed and there was a Sea King in a hover (quite legally) quite some way from the runway. While it eventually transpired that the downwash did not cause or affect the crash, the subject of R/W downwash was discussed at length to see if it had had any affect and, as ever, some very useful sideline points came out even tho it was too far away to be involved. Sadly, the RAF dealing with the case was "suspect" in terms of the poor SK pilot.... but that's another matter for the Military forum - the SK pilot was, for a while, blamed ... but that is another topic. Back on topic, always think where you are and where others are (or will be!) WRT downwash and jet/prop wash - and, if in doubt, stop/avoid. A helo weighs quite a bit and all that downward thrust in a hover has to go somewhere - a nice little man*-made microburst! Experience helps but, in general, I view down/jet/prop wash as something that can really spoil my day!

Just my thoughts! H 'n' H

* There are many lady helo pilots - don't want to be taken to task as being sexsist and all that jazz!

Last edited by Hot 'n' High; 20th Jun 2019 at 20:52. Reason: Clarify sexist remark! :-)