PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2019, 08:55
Chugalug2

Received 227 Likes on 70 Posts
Engines:-
As I've posted before, the responsibility for the 'hash' (actually a complete c*********k) made of ATC glider and maintenance records lies squarely with the RAF, not Serco. When you contract out a maintenance activity, you don't give up responsibility for supervising and monitoring the performance of that contract. The RAF failed to do this, as was mentioned in letters from the Minister responsible.
While I don't quibble with your summary of the ATC Gliders descent into the present perpetual pause, I must take issue with your implication that this is a scandal solely affecting the RAF . The initial attack on Air Safety was perpetrated in the late 80's by RAF VSOs it is true, but such is the virulent nature of unairworthiness once the defences are down that it infected all UK military aviation regardless of the individual Service operators involved. The results are often fatal and can strike anywhere at any time.

One such tragedy was the mid-air collision of two FAA Sea King ASaC Mk7's on the 22nd March 2003 that killed all seven occupants. It transpired that the aircraft were improperly fitted with High Intensity Strobe Lights that replaced the previous Anti Collision Lighting in identical positions. The result was that the forward HISLs could blind the pilots from reflection from the surface of the sea or in cloud or poor vis conditions. An unofficial procedure to cope with this phenomena was to operate in such conditions with the forward HISLs switched off. This collision occurred in such conditions when the ever present Swiss Cheese holes put both aircraft in the same place at the same time. Were their forward HISLs switched off? Whether yes or no, they were by definition unairworthy along with the aircraft they were fitted to. No fleet, no Service, is spared from the curse of unairworthiness once the defences are down.

The defences remain down thanks to the cover up by RAF VSOs protecting those who first attacked UK Military Air Safety over 30 years ago. Army and Naval aviation fleets are just as exposed as Royal Air Force ones, including ATC gliders, make no mistake.