PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Pilot Falling Standards
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2003, 21:36
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the currency requirements are reasonable and sensible.
The old system mentioned above was a pointless exercise which did little or nothing to enhance flight safety. There was no flight test, and the person countersigning the logbook didn't necessarily know whether the times recorded were accurate or even whether the flights were flown.
The system worked reasonably well only because the vast majority of PPLs hire aircraft and schools imposed stricter requirements than the law. The current requirements apply equally to all PPLs.
Flying is potentially hazardous, and helicopter flying less forgiving than fixed-wing. I think don't think it's unreasonable that we should have to demonstrate our proficiency periodically.

'examiners fees'
If all an examiner does for his fee is give a check ride then it's time to find someone else. If an examiner signed me off without pointing out any errors, or suggesting any improvements in technique, then I'd regard that flight as a waste of time and money. Fortunately, it's never happened. I don't believe any PPL can be so good that he/she can't benefit from a flight with a professional.
I use Al Gwilt for Gazelle checkrides, and either HeliAir or Biggin Hill Helicopters for the Jetranger, and always learn something from the flights.