PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Level Segment during ILS Procedures?
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2003, 21:25
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

ICAO Doc 8168 (Pans Ops), Chapter 21 is the reference, but it is only for procedure design purposes. As a procedure designer, I can tell you that I don't care whether you use it that way or not. It is strictly a procedure design principle that the Intermediate Approach Segment includes a 2NM level segment, as a minimum.

If there's a track change between the Initial and Intermediate segments, greater than 30 degrees, we have to provide additional length in the level segment. I don't have my Pans Ops book in front of me (it's well after hours here now), but I think the minimum distance increases to 2.5 NM for turns of between 30 and 40 degrees between the Initial and Intermediate segments.

From the standpoint of procedure design, this part of the approach is referred to as the Intermediate Approach segment. The sole purpose of this segment is to establish the aircraft on the LLZ prior to GP intercept. That way, if pilots fly the way the procedure is designed, GP intercept occurs from below it.

I recognise that this is not a fuel-efficient way of intercepting the GP.

If I was you, I wouldn't get too hung up on what is built into the design of these approaches. The chances are that your company SOPs and your FMS have already figured out how to deal with it. The only thing that you really need to worry about is the possibility of a "false glidepath" and how to identify it - and I'm sure that your company will have SOPs to address that as well.

I don't know if TERPs provides any similar design constraint, so I don't know if American pilots will know about it or not.