PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training Ethiopian Canberra pilots at RAF Manby and Bassingbourn
Old 19th Jun 2019, 02:09
lauriebe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nazca_steve
Cheers to Yellow Sun for that very helpful explanation!

BB - Is there anything more you can remember about the incident that might be of interest? For instance, was anyone injured, and/or did they have to be cut out of the a/c or were able to exit normally? I don't suppose you can remember their names? If it helps jog your memory, it would have been one of the following: Assefa Mekbib, Bizuwork Yigezu, Afeworki Mekonnen or Mesfin Haile. I've interviewed the latter two, and neither mentioned it, so I am guessing it was one of the former. I know we are talking 51 years ago, but hey, it's worth a shot!

One other thing - what was Viv's full name - and is he 'available for comment' so to speak?
NS, you can try and get hold of a copy of the RAF Form 1180, Accident Record Card, for this incident. The RAF Museum at Hendon hold copies. I have always found them very helpful in cases such as this.

Have a look at this link:

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/researc...t-records.aspx

There is a brief description of events in Colin Cummings' book, 'Category Five'. That entry reads:

13 May 1968 WH944 Canberra B2 231 OCU RAF Waddington

The aircraft was being flown from its base at Bassingbourn on a diversion exercise and was making an assymmetric full stop landing at Waddington. The aircraft crossed the threshold at 17 knots above the normal speed and the starboard tyre burst after touchdown, The pilot was unable to hold the swing and the aircraft veered off the right side of the runway, sliding sideways before stopping.

No names are given in that account but would be included on the RAF Form 1180.

Hope that helps a little.