PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus pitches pilotless jets -- at Le Bourget
Old 19th Jun 2019, 01:54
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
I've posted variations of this many times - I have little doubt that we'll eventually end up with pilotless commercial aircraft. I also foresee a future where not only are fully autonomous cars common, driving a car yourself will be expressly banned aside from a few areas set aside for dinosaurs like me that actually enjoy a brisk drive through the countryside.
That being said, I also believe we are still decades away from that future - far enough I doubt I'll live to see it.
Airbus said a lot of stuff in that press conference that I have issues with - I wonder if he'd actually talked to his engineers before spouting off about going completely to hydrogen powered aircraft. I know people that have looked at that, and the problems are tremendous - especially where to put the fuel. In order to have a reasonable density of hydrogen, it needs to be liquid, which means really, really cold, and even then then density is so low that it takes a massive volume to fly even a few thousand miles - you're not just going to stick it in the wings... You're talking a massive volume that needs to be kept cryrogenically cold for long periods of time. Materials that can handle that level of cold for extended periods, and reusable thousands of times is also a problem. Not to mention all the inefficiency in using a cryogenic fuel as well as obtaining large quantities of hydrogen in an environmentally friendly manner (currently most hydrogen fuel is created by stripping the hydrogen off of hydrocarbon fuels).