PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK versus BA
Thread: EK versus BA
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2019, 22:43
FACoff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dupre
I am extremely junior (>90% down my list) and what makes it bearable is the swapping. I get nothing i want from JSS but can often get a good roster by swapping. It helps living close to base and being flexible.
Roster swapping does indeed help to mitigate the failings of JSS for the juniors. Successfully doing so however means being married to your iPad and obsessively checking every single open time notification to get something satisfactory (because let's face it, no-one's going to swap their midweek LCA for your weekend 2 day 6). For me as a junior, the hours I spend trying to piece together a sensible roster probably rise into double digits every month.

I don't know much about EK - the Middle East has never appealed (yet). But JSS is certainly making those in the lower third of BA's ranks (myself included) think long and hard about whether it's worth it any more. BA have historically always paid less than the competitors in the early years, but have instead offered lifestyle options and a decent pay-scale, pension and rostering system. I'd argue at least 3 out of 4 of those no longer exist.

Personally I think if you're young, and can afford to sacrifice 5 years of your life, BA might still be worth it in the long run - IF you want long haul. Bear in mind however - as mentioned elsewhere, the company want long haul trips to become 24 hour night stops in airport hotels. If that happens, there'll be no point whatsoever.

Last edited by FACoff; 18th Jun 2019 at 22:56.