PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After Take off climb attitude
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2001, 08:09
yxcapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forget about compairing techniques of light twins to transport jets there are too many differences. With that said let me continue.

In light twins, I fly a pitch attitude that holds Vy or Vyse+10 which ever is greater. This technique allows me to gain the most altitude in the shortest amount of time. Altitude is your friend! Flying Vy/Vyse+10 (the greater of the two) Allow a buffer above Vyse if an engine should fail. You may recall that drag increases with the square of airspeed> You don't want to climb at too fast of an airspeed becouse your climb performance decreases.

If an engine should fail when climbing at Vy/Vyse+10, airspeed and climb performace decrease very quickly. I have found that with a decrease of pitch of about 5 degrees (+/-), the airspeed will stablize very close to Vyse (right where I want it).

Now weather or not the airplane climbs the way you want it to depends on your preflight planning!

Since your in the Cessna 310, ever look at the accelerated go chart? Ever notice that chart leaves you hanging at 50 feet AGL at an airspeed below Vyse? (I don't recall how close the airspeed was to Vxse).

Anyway, this is the technique I use, It's kept me out of the dirt though 4 engine failures.