PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Pilot Falling Standards
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2003, 14:39
Dantruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not yet an instructor, but I know what you mean.

From memory, among the changes JAR brought to annual pilot licence renewals was the requirement to receive two hours instructor training per type per year, to include a Licence Proficiency Check (LPC) check-ride with an examiner. Previously in the UK a pilot only had to show evidence of 12-hours minimum in the previous 12months in his logbook.

It is my understanding that this change was, in part, designed to pull in those private owners who previously never had to revisit an instructor or examiner, and never do an auto, etc, as you describe. It sounds from what you are saying that this attempt is failing.

That's doubly unfortunate as all the self-fly-hire type such as myself, who could never get near a helicopter without passing an instructor on the apron before JAR, got hit with the increased fees and extra hassle, and are now made to re-test on both R22 and R44 as if they were different types entirely. Net result: those of us on a budget get no more instructional refreshers than before, and get to go flying less often because our money is eaten up in examiner fees.

I hope someone at CAA/JAA is listening, because SFH'ers are the majority in the UK, and now they get less experience.