PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Phoenix flight training
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2019, 20:37
stevensanph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheppie
Morning all, does anyone have any experience of the above flight school based at Cumbernauld? Looking to start my ppl and based between Glasgow and Edinburgh, many thanks.
Hi Sheppie - I'm about half way through a LAPL and tried a lesson at Phoenix, as well as a number of other schools around. Phoenix have two standard C152's and experienced instructors - one of whom is also an examiner. There is also an ArcherIII. Some people like the training there, and others don't. I personally preferred the now defunct Border Air downstairs, and when they closed I opted to continue with ACS in Perth, even though the travelling is further. The main reasons on going there, rather than Phoenix were;

a) Availability - unless you can fly mid week, you will struggle to get slots on the weekends at Phoenix (limited planes, limited instructors - ACS have lots of both)
b) weather - Perth is usually flyable when Cumbernauld is in cloud
c) Landing fees - free in Perth, charged at £13.20 at Cumbernauld, or £54 for circuit training. It adds up very quickly.

My advice is pop in and see how you get on with Phoenix, and then go and have a few lessons elsewhere (ACS, Leading Edge, Tayside at Fife Airport). It's all about what suits you best and there is lots of options out there.