PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FSB - Flight School Berlin /MCC course
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2019, 12:27
cavok_flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I did my MCC at FSB 2 weeks ago and here are some impressions:

The train from Berlin to Schönhagen one-way now costs 8,40€. I had to take a taxi (15€) from the train station in Trebbin since the bus only runs if you call a day in advance and reserve a route. Same thing from the airfield into Trebbin. Basically, useless. I stayed at the airfield and a room (comfortable, clean, well maintained) costs 43€/night without breakfast. All rooms have a mini-fridge, so you can go into Trebbin (more on that later) and get food. If you come from a large city, you will notice at night that it is VERY quiet at the airfield.

Started the same day that I arrived and we went over the set-up, where the sim is, get to know each other, etc. You receive all the course material so no need to study in advance like I did. Does nothing for your results. The 5 sim sessions (4 hours each: 2h PM, 2h PF) were HOT HOT HOT since it was 35°C outside during the day and the B200 sim does not have a/c, only a fan that blows warm air on your legs. We had three instructors: one for the intro and 3 sim sessions, one for the CRM part, and a third for the last session including exam. All competant and experienced.
What is critical to do well is not only read the manual with call-outs, but to practice after hours with your partner. Unfortunately, mine let after the mandatory hours and I was left a bit hanging. The school has a "dry run" practice cockpit where you can go over procedures after hours. Alone makes a bit of sense (which I did), but practicing with your number two is much better.

The Beech sim is an older Elite (which I knew from my SEP IR as a single) without a FMC or GPS meaning all old school, raw data flying, kiddies. All SIDs are fairly easy, and be prepared for nothing but missed approaches with the first approach being a ILS and degrading each time until NDBs. The autopilot's microswitches are pretty worn out meaning the "ARM" button only works if you press the lower right corner. Also, the twist dial for ALTITUDE and RATE OF CLIMB is fairlly hooped, too. You will be flying an NDB approach with 700 ft/min and need to increase to 800, one click of the dial and you are now 1400 ft/min.! Ouch. You fly the whole time with the A/P anyways and you get use to its "challenges".

The resturant at the airfield is good and priced "normally" for Germany. The pizza is totally tasteless (dough, sause, toppings) though, but everything else I tried there was really enjoyable. When I was there, no paying with Eurocard or credit card -> cash only and no ATM in sight.
Getting into Trebbin for food or whatever is easy with a car rental from app2drive. Register yourself a few days in advance and with a rental car into Trebbin and back for about an hour only costs 5€. Nothing to see in Trebbin except for grocery stores, anyways. The airfield also rents bikes, if you are so inclined. Trebbin is about 7 km away from the airfield.