PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 16th Jun 2019, 06:35
ROTORVATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Clear to Land

I started my PPL(H) at the age of 18 in the UK and 21 years later I’m still flying UK Onshore full time in a mix from R22 to AS355 and AW109 and most types in the middle.

Its been a lot of fun, interspersed with Instructing, Examining, Filming, Chief Pilot & 10 years for a private owner.

I would definitely do it again, but be prepared for lots of travel, in order to make a decent income. Honestly, the salaries UK Onshore are rubbish... seriously rubbish... but it depends on what you want out... it suited me at the time to have a lower salary, because I just lived what I did.

Now I’m a bit older with little pension, that enjoyment I'm starting to realise has cost me, and maybe I should have learnt to go FW initially, and found my way into a better paying Fixed Wing world, then done some Helis on the side.

I’d say do it.... it’s a blast. But don’t give up the airline career salary. Not in the beginning anyway. Reassess when you’ve done 3 years of Helis and have a better insight into the job market, remuneration and longevity of a career in the RW side of the industry.