PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 14th Jun 2019, 23:09
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Is it possible to make a good MAX? Things it would need, in of course, my humble opinion.

Obviate the need for MCAS entirely. The well proven STS? Experienced pilots give feedback as to it being really necessary. Take Occam's razor to anything that inputs to that 47 feet of ultimately powerful flying surface.

The manual trim system is frighteningly disappointing if its design goal is defeated so easily. The number of turns is already high, so you can't have a higher ratio. Is it conceivable that the stabilizer could be hinged forward of the centre of rotation? That would require one heck of a beam to the jackscrew but I'd hazard a guess that it could be contained within the tail profile.

Just think how many problems would go away if that could be implemented. (I know, it's too obvious for there not to be a reason for the way it is, though I'm darned if I can understand the original thinking.) For the system to be meaningful, I'd want to see crews hand flying while using it - right down to the flare. Needles to say, there would have to be almost perfect simulation - which I suggest would be a first for this task.

Whatever the decision, a long hard look at elevator authority. Thinking back 50 years, the BAC 1-11 had a switch that threw away the Q-Feel and gave an electric trim at a fixed 180kts. With care, it worked very well and was a very comforting backup.

A third AoA vane? There is enough varied data for a black box to give more than just a comparison fail warning. A very realistic 'most likely side' fail would be achievable.

Okay, you do all this and what have you got? Experienced forum members seem to like the aircraft, but my old bones itch when I see that ground clearance . . . or lack of it. We've discussed putting a tad of wing down in the past (following a very curly landing) and I was surprised that a few admitted to doing just that. I assume the MAX requires a very flat kick-off on X-wind landings. Fine for the experienced types, but what about the 'Children' who are gaining their first real experience of difficult weather while on line. Is this aircraft as critical to land as would appear? It seems to me to be a costly piece of kit for a crew still having to display P and L plates.