PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 14th Jun 2019, 09:14
BaronG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Valens13
I am not concerned about how much I can make as an income and I am sure I can get a job so for that reason I do appreciate the advice but I am determined to do it I just wish I can manage to fund it!

Well you seem determined enough. My general approach to this is to advise against it (helicopters in particular and aviation careers in general) - if the individual carries on anyway, they’re probably motivated (or stupid/crazy) enough to see it through.

If you can be scared off by stories of no jobs, poor salary, poor working conditions and increasingly joyless flying, then you probably don’t really have your heart in it anyway.

What I will say though, is don’t underestimate the impact of drones - they’ve already killed some “entry level” helicopter career paths. As technology improves they’ll kill more.

Passenger flying is a safe bet - if you’re putting people in the aircraft, you may as well put a couple of people who understand how things work (or blame) just in case something unforeseen happens (that’s airline flying these days effectively). With helicopters, the vast majority of pax flying is offshore oil and gas, and right now, that sector is still struggling.

So there you go. Best of luck with your endeavours.

BG.