PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasgow-3
Thread: Glasgow-3
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2019, 15:35
nivsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what have we established...not.much really except that while Glasgow as a city seems to attract a large number of tourists from.north America according to the stats the airport fails to bring them in. MAN as an example has many more flights to North America. So it's just not the tourists for there. Are many then jumping in cars and heading north? How about business? Evidence would show catchment area of MAN (obviously) means greater use so again with better cross pond flights. Then EDI seems to balance Scotland's needs perhaps with tourists and business from and to states side. GLA has token gestures. indeed it maybe the failings of the airport operator or just a fact that GLA cannot sustain loads. Don't despair it still has a seasonal charter with 747 to disney!! 🙈 a right good bucket and spade flight! It's a shame that GLA cannot hold European schedules. While it has been explained on the forum it's been done before and withdrawn the counter seems to have been that was on the past and does not reflect current market. Well I am not so sure. SAS never returned. A seasonal LH to MUC is not something to be proud of really. Is it? Brussels international from GLA? I suspect not. It was tried in the past. It's ok maybe GLA business just prefer like tourists the many flights to London so they can connect to frequent euros destinations. It's not per se a dig at GLA it's just observations that the airport appears to serve a market that is perhaps not quite a versatile as EDI now. Ido question just what the airport is itself doing to encourage. Not it's finest moment the dispute with RYR and consequential action which certainly reduced some services. I suspect all airlines take note.

Last edited by nivsy; 13th Jun 2019 at 16:40.