PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uber Air
Thread: Uber Air
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2019, 05:05
Rated De

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeadSled
Folks,
Just, for a moment, forget all the Uber uberhype, and the abysmal ignorance of the media in general, one thing is true.

There are some quite remarkable devices now flying --- distributed power with small electric motors has some fascinating aerodynamic/design possibilities ---- and with each "prop" powered by a "double engine" , and " you name it" number of props, how good is your imagination. The engine failure risk metrics look really good.

Think --- it is not even necessarily a "battery" thing, but can be a hybrid, with a (just say) a hydrogen (ammonia fuel cell -- think UNSW/CIRO) powered motor driving one or more generators plus just battery reserve---- that is what distributed power, in this instance, means.

In my lifetime --- who knows, but I hope so, some of the way out prototypes are flying, right now.

Even Boeing has postulated a distributed power "turboprop", with the "turbo" part buried in the fuselage running generators.

Tootle pip!!

PS: I do have to be careful that a particularly powerful permanent magnet motor, that I have (~ 0.5 HP, weighs ~ 500gms) , with the magnet made of quite exotic material --- doesn't get too close to my pacemaker.
All true Lead.
Technically feasible and all that, but what is proposed is fanciful.
It won't be built, certified, tested and deemed operational anytime soon.

Rather like airline BS on bio-fuel, all technically feasible, but a long long way before anything like commercial scale is achieved. Ignoring of course all the demonstrated practical problems growing enough of it to satisfy demand and feed ourselves at the same time!