PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uber Air
Thread: Uber Air
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2019, 04:42
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 27/09
Just had a quick look at the Karem link.

Could someone explain to this dumb pilot how an engine failure on take off/landing would be managed, or how easily the asymmetric thrust would be countered in the cruise. The thrust lines are a long way from the longitudinal axis.
Folks,
Just, for a moment, forget all the Uber uberhype, and the abysmal ignorance of the media in general, one thing is true.

There are some quite remarkable devices now flying --- distributed power with small electric motors has some fascinating aerodynamic/design possibilities ---- and with each "prop" powered by a "double engine" , and " you name it" number of props, how good is your imagination. The engine failure risk metrics look really good.

Think --- it is not even necessarily a "battery" thing, but can be a hybrid, with a (just say) a hydrogen (ammonia fuel cell -- think UNSW/CIRO) powered motor driving one or more generators plus just battery reserve---- that is what distributed power, in this instance, means.

In my lifetime --- who knows, but I hope so, some of the way out prototypes are flying, right now.

Even Boeing has postulated a distributed power "turboprop", with the "turbo" part buried in the fuselage running generators.

Tootle pip!!

PS: I do have to be careful that a particularly powerful permanent magnet motor, that I have (~ 0.5 HP, weighs ~ 500gms) , with the magnet made of quite exotic material --- doesn't get too close to my pacemaker.