PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristol Beaufighter sad news.
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2019, 13:15
GeeRam

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Martin the Martian
'Over Duxford' is the appropriate term. It's been a few years since I've been there, and while strolling around the hangars during the D-Day event I realised just how few of the based aircraft I'd actually seen elsewhere. TFC might receive more support for their projects if their airworthy warbirds actually went a little further than the local circuit. Yes, I know it's down to airshow organisers to book them, but either they are very reluctant to (high costs?) or TFC are reluctant to take them around the country.
TFC have their Friends of TFC group, so those that wish to support them have done so for 30 odd years or so. As you say, its down to what bookings they get from elsewhere (they probably get more bookings from European events than UK ones) and you also have to take into account how TFC have changed over the past 3 decades, as SG is not a young man now, and while son Nick flys all the fleet a lot, I'm not sure what will happen to TFC as an organisation when SG is no longer around to pay for it all? The fleet has been reduced quite a bit over the years, and there's certainly less 'projects' on the go compared to when SG was a younger man.